At the conclusion of today’s Star Trek Discovery panel, CBS All Access revealed a new trailer.
Updates and analysis coming soon!
Here’s a rundown of what we know now in July 2017. By the time the show premieres, we will know a lot more.
- Premiere: In the U.S., the show will air a two-hour debut episode Sept. 24, 2017, on regular CBS network TV. The series will then shift to the online platform CBS All Access, where episodes will be released weekly through November. Then the show returns with the second half of the first season beginning in January 2018. There will be a total of 15 first-season episodes.
- How to get the show: CBS All Access is a subscription service for U.S.-based viewers. The cost is currently $6.99 a month (or $11.99 with no ads). Outside the U.S., the show will be released on Netflix.
- Setting: The show is set about 10 years before The Original Series — in the original TV timeline, not the recent movie timeline — and will take place aboard at least two Federation starships, the USS Discovery and the USS Shenzhou.
- Story: We don’t know a lot, but we do know that the show will tell a serialized story throughout the season that will likely involved the Klingons.
- Producers: The show has already had some changes in the production staff. The following producers have contributed in a variety of roles since the show was announced in 2015. In the coming weeks we will be profiling each of the principle people involved in the show.
- Alex Kurtzman (Star Trek reboot films)
- Bryan Fuller (Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, American Gods)
- Heather Kadin (Sleepy Hollow, Scorpion, Tales From the Darkside)
- Gretchen J. Berg (Reign, Revenge, GCB, Mercy, Pushing Daisies)
- Aaron Harberts (Reign, Revenge, GCB, Mercy, Pushing Daisies)
- Akiva Goldsman (Fringe, Transformers, Paranormal Activity, I am Legend, Batman & Robin, Batman Forever)
- Rod Roddenberry (Star Trek: Inside the Roddenberry Vault, Trek Nation, Earth: Final Conflict)
- Trevor Roth (Rod & Barry, Star Trek: Inside the Roddenberry Vault, Trek Nation)
- David Semel (Goliath, Pure Genius, Madam Secretary, Legends, Person of Interest, Heroes)
- Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II, Star Trek IV, Star Trek VI, Elegy, The Day After, Time After Time)
- Vincenzo Natali (Utopia, Hunter, Getting Gilliam, Cube, Westworld)
- Cast and characters: One of the biggest differences in this show is that the main character will not be the commanding officer of the ship, but rather the first officer. At least, that’s what they are telling us before the first episode. We know very little about that characters and each person’s relative importance to the show as a whole.
- Lt. Cmdr. Michael Burnham is played by Sonequa Martin-Green (Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife). Burnham is the first officer of the USS Shenzhou and will be called “Number One” in reference to Majel Barrett’s character from the original Star Trek pilot. She has a close relationship to Vulcan Ambassador Sarek (Spock’s father). The choice of a traditionally male name for the character has not been explained yet.
- Capt. Gabriel Lorca is played by Jason Isaacs (The OA, Hitman, Star Wars: Rebels, Avatar: The Last Airbender). Lorca is captain of the USS Discovery. He is described as a brilliant tactician.’
- Lt. Saru is played by Doug Jones (The Strain, Falling Skies, The Flash, Arrow). Saru is the first Kelpian in Starfleet. His species has developed an ability to sense danger. The Kelpians have been created for this new series, so Jones will be working with a blank slate.
- Lt. Stamets is played by Anthony Rapp (Rent, Dazed and Confused). Stamets is a science officer.
- Sarek is played by James Frain (Gotham, Agent Carter, True Detective, Tron: Legacy). Frain plays a younger version of the character played by Mark Lenard in The Original Series, the films and The Next Generation.
- Chief Medical Officer Nambue is played by Maulik Pancholy (30 Rock, Phineas and Ferb, Weeds).
- Ensign Connor is played by Sam Vartholomeos (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty).
- Admiral Anderson is played by Terry Serpico (The Inspectors, Blue Bloods, Rescue Me, Army Wives).
- Cadet Tilly is played by Mary Wiseman (Baskets, Longmire). Tilly is a fourth-year cadet assigned to Discovery.
Hello and welcome to TV Trek News.
In the coming months we will cover the return of Star Trek to the small screen. Star Trek Discovery, the sixth (or seventh, if you count the animated series) series debuts this fall on CBS All Access in the U.S. and Netflix around the world.
This site will bring you news, rumors, episode reviews, cast profiles and interviews based around the new series. We also plan to look back at the rich 50-year history of Star Trek on TV with rewatches of classic episodes, news and info on the cast and crew and reviews of tie-in media.
Coming this weekend, full coverage of the Star Trek Discovery panel at Comic-Con International.